Tuesday 16 December 2014

Shoe Goo- A very good investment!

It's been a while since my last post- I have been rather busy with Cambridge interview preparation and November tests. I am now on my winter break so hopefully can add more posts in the coming
weeks.

On to the meat of this post: As many of you will be aware from my previous blog posts, I have a history of popping all my shoes (trail or not) at the sides of the upper seriously curtailing the life of the shoes. This means I often throw away shoes with nowhere near enough outsole wear! I have previously cited randing as a possible solution to this which seems popular on a number of Inov-8 shoes (trailroc 255, roclite 243, x-talon 212) and Salomon (S-Lab Sense 3) shown below.














However, as much as I'd like to buy all these shoes right now, I only bought my Mizuno Evo Ferus shoes in August so I am reluctant to shell out upwards of £50 for these. In the Evo Ferus post, I described how the upper had popped earlier than expected and how I had tried to use superglue and stitching to heal the sides. This arrangement only lasts a few runs and I think the superglue becomes brittle after a few days and is not water resistant.

I decided to buy a tube of 'Shoe Goo' to fix this problem. It cost under £10 with delivery and I immediately attempted to fix my Mizuno Wave Universe 5s (yes they are really suffering now) and Evo Ferus shoes. Since that, I have done a race 10k road race in the Universe 5s and a number of shortish runs and general exercise in the Ferus. The Goo remains fairly flexible indefinitely so does not crack in the fashion of the super glue. The only problem I have found is that if you use it on the soles (as I did with my Universe 5s), it does rub off in the fashion of a blister. As an upper healer, it certainly does a sterling job- I certainly think that it will extend my shoes' lives by around 100% or more. Even for a randed shoe, a splurge of Shoe Goo could help to toughen up that vulnerable area.

Watch this guy's video on how to apply it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zzd3pJwkoQ

I look forward to getting some more miles out of my Evo Ferus shoes: If you ignore the poor durability, it is a zero drop, under 210g shoe. My only remaining dislikes are the fit (still a thumb too long) and the flexibility of the sole (some people will like this and to be fair I should probably be grateful for its foot strengthening effect).

In the meantime, I hope more shoe manufacturers use rands on their shoes so I can buy a finished product.

Please share, +1, comment, check  back often, add me on G+ and whatever else you could expect to be added to this list.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment