Monday 24 November 2014

Adidas XCS 4 Review

Back in 2012 when I was basically only a XC runner for my school club, I had a pair of Nike XC Zoom Waffle VIII spikes. When I started wearing them, I felt so fast and they were so light (it turns out they are not very light in the world of XC spikes). Such was my love of these shoes, I took out the spikes and ran two 10k PBs in three weeks because I didn't want to plod in beefy trainers. They ended up breaking because of overuse and since I have been through a number of spikes without finding the same feeling of speed. Recently though, my school coach gave me some Adidas XCS 4s. More and more I am discovering the same speed and easiness I had with the Nikes. This might be my only ever review of a spike but I think this one deserves it.


Upper

To be honest, there is not much to say about the upper. I can't say I've put too many miles into these shoes (about 50km I'd guess) but as yet there are no holes in the upper which is slightly surprising to me given how aggressive and fast each of those kilometres was. The upper is not paper thin like most racing flats but feels like a double layer thickish mesh which might be the reason for the durability. There is a nice sturdy heel counter and this combines with excellent lace lockdown through the Adidas stripes to give a shoe that stays on whatever the conditions (I have run across streams, ankle deep mud, hills, grass, 1500m of synthetic track...).

The toe guard is pretty sturdy and I can't figure out why it's there. Anyhow, I think it looks pretty cool when cleaned and gleaming. In fact, the whole shoe has a very cool design and is a top choice among those at the front of packs. The toe box is, as many have said, a little tight however I personally prefer this in a racing shoe; it makes your feet feel more precise and quick in my opinion.

Finally, the laces are pretty average. They are not the easiest to tighten especially if you haven't had a chance for an inter-race clean however they do stay tied up pretty well and don't really loosen or slip.

Midsole

This is another midsole that Adidas has impressed me with. Like the road-going Adios, this shoe has a stiff under arch section which really gives you confidence as you bomb up and down hills without mercy. This is an extremely responsive spike with sturdiness aplenty. I think this may be the desirable similarity between the Nike and the Adidas- the light responsive tight race feel(!). The lugs in between the spikes also probably provide a bit of grip themselves and the outsole wear on my version is non-existent. The heel grip is probably pretty effective if you are the type to go slowly down hills, although I'm afraid I won't be able to advise on that front.

All in all, this is a very well thought out and implemented sole with little consideration for cushioning (good in XC).

Summary

I thought I should share my good, but perhaps limited, perception of this XC spike with you. Personally I think I shall either buy it again or buy the next version if I have to when this one disintegrates although I can see it carrying on for a while. Another top job by Adidas!

No comments:

Post a Comment